Independent Candidate Dr Kerryn Phelps will launch her ambitious plan to help combat climate change on the same day that pre-poll opens for the Wentworth by-election.
Dr Phelps said climate change will undoubtedly be one of the major issues in the Wentworth by-election and that real action is needed with the Morrison Government hopelessly divided on climate science and what to do about it.
My six-point plan to tackle climate change:
• Transition to 100% renewal energy, 50% by 2030.
• Restore a credible scientific based Climate Change Authority
• No new coal fired power plants – I will oppose the Federal Government spending your money on new coal fired power generation.
• Stop government subsidies of new fossil fuel developments, including the proposed Adani coal mine.
• Meet our commitments under the Paris International Climate Agreement
• Ban political donations by fossil fuel companies and establish a register to force all Senators and Members to disclose meetings with fossil fuel companies and their lobbyists.
“If you believe that climate change is real - like I do - and we have an obligation to do something about it, you can send that message on October 20 loud and clear to the Liberal Party by voting for a candidate with a strong plan to act,” Dr Phelps said.
“The Abbott/Turnbull/Morrison Government has abandoned long-term renewable energy targets and openly questions whether we should pull out of our international commitments to reduce carbon emissions. Well, I don’t think that’s good enough.
“The Federal Government is dominated by climate sceptics and those who are not sceptics refuse to stand up for taking action on climate change for fear of retribution.
“We know former Prime Minister and Member for Wentworth, Malcolm Turnbull believed in climate change and his party got rid of him, so we cannot expect any better should a Liberal be elected to the seat.
“That’s why we need a strong Independent voice who will stand up to Canberra.”