Independent candidate for the seat of Wentworth, Dr Kerryn Phelps AM, says a landmark report released today by the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) proves the urgent need for global action on climate change.
The report is groundbreaking in that it looks at the impacts of keeping global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius, compared to 2.0C. It finds that reaching the lower target would lessen the risk of drought, floods and extreme heat.
The authors of the report said urgent and unprecedented changes are needed to reach the lower target. The half-degree difference could prevent corals from being completely eradicated and ease pressure on the Arctic.
“Solving the climate change crisis requires vision and leadership yet the Morrison Government is hopelessly divided on climate science and paralysed on what to do about it,” Dr Phelps said.
“Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s thought bubble today on overturning the ban on building nuclear reactors in Australia is not the answer.
“The people of Wentworth want decisive action on cutting greenhouse emissions and a proper plan to transition from coal to renewables.
“Climate change is undoubtedly one of the major issues in the Wentworth by-election and I have a strong plan to tackle climate change.”
- Transition to 100% renewal energy, 50% by 2030.
- Restore a credible scientific based Climate Change Authority
- No new coal fired power plants – I will oppose the Federal Government spending your money on new coal fired power generation.
- Stop government subsidies of new fossil fuel developments, including the proposed Adani coal mine.
- Meet our commitments under the Paris International Climate Agreement
- Ban political donations by fossil fuel companies and establish a register to force all Senators and Members to disclose meetings with fossil fuel companies and their lobbyists.
“The Abbott/Turnbull/Morrison Government is dominated by climate sceptics and those who are not sceptics refuse to stand up for taking action on climate change for fear of retribution,” Dr Phelps said.
“We know former Prime Minister and Member for Wentworth, Malcolm Turnbull believed in climate change and his party got rid of him, so we cannot expect any better should a Liberal be elected to the seat.
“That’s why we need a strong Independent voice who will stand up to Canberra.”